Reception Set for January 23, 2011

Join members and friends at Bethany Presbyterian Church for a reception honoring twins Bob and Dodie (whose 80th birthday is January 20).

When: Sunday, January 23, 2011 - worship service starts at 10:30 a.m., with a reception following 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

What: Cake and punch will be served in the church social hall - come and view the display of Bob and Dodie memorabilia - no gifts, please, but cards are welcome; blank cards will be available at the reception


Monday, January 17, 2011

Aunt Dodie--

I grew up seeing your glamorous portraits on the wall of Grandma's bedroom … and knowing, thus, that there was hope for me, another "girl with the glasses." I felt sure that my caterpillar self would morph into a butterfly, just like you.


Thank you for all the times you have been there for me. I will never forget the day the kids and I moved to our tiny Monterey Way bungalow … and discovered the previous tenants had not cleaned before they left. You popped by to see how the we were settling in and before I knew, it you'd scrubbed the entire bathroom. Such a blessing you have been to me.


Dad--

Your confidence in me and what I could do has never failed. You continue to amaze me with your energy and positive, "can-do" attitude. When people need you, you are there. When something has to get fixed, you've got the time (and always, the right tools). Our regular Tuesday morning coffee date is the entertainment highlight of my week, mainly because we get to sit and make wisecracks about other Starbucks customers. But mostly, I like spending Tuesday mornings with you because you are my connection to the Betts and Storie families of the past and the future. Thank you for instilling in me a sense of humor and an appreciation for the lively world around me.


You modeled "integrity" for me, and I have to echo the words of writer Clarence B. Kelland: "My father didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it."


Love to you both,

Cathy

No comments: